Garage Museum of Contemporary Art
Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow appointed JFA to help them to accommodate major international art exhibitions at their first home, Constantin Melnikov’s 1926 Bakhmetevsky bus garage.
New, environmentally controlled galleries allowed the centre to bring international loans of museum standard to the Moscow audience. The main gallery, a building within a building, was located under three of the existing roof lights. These interlocking roof lights have an extraordinary form, but through the filigree of the structure it is very hard to perceive. In subtle and elegant homage to the masterpiece in which it sits, the interior ceiling of the new gallery appropriated the form and dimensions of the existing roof lights, allowing the gallery to benefit from daylight.